The HI2.exe has Stopped Working error is a message that appears when you try to open the file Hi2.exe in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1, which likely means your computer’s registry is corrupted or incompletely installed by another program., This can lead to a variety of problems including crashes, slow performance, freezing during startup and more., How do I fix this problem?
The “hl2.exe has stopped working windows 7” is a common problem that many users experience. The solution to this issue is easy.
Windows 10 has always had issues playing older games due to their engines being outdated and no longer supported by the developers as some of the newer games would be. This issue especially comes into play with Half-Life 2 where the “HI2.exe has Stopped Working” error prevents the user from enjoying it as it suddenly crashes the game.HI2.exe has stopped working error
Not only have we collected a list of alternative procedures and remedies that you can use to thoroughly resolve the HI2.exe has Stopped Working issue, but we’ve also detailed the possible causes for this error on your machine. Make sure to go through the causes for its existence first, and then use the solutions to thoroughly resolve the problem.
What Causes the HI2.exe Error to Stop Working?
We decided to set down the causes for the problem on your computer after having to go through the many processes and workarounds usually used to solve it.
- Outdated GPU Drivers: In certain circumstances, the older GPU Drivers installed on your computer may be incompatible with Half-Life 2. As a result, we recommend that you try updating your GPU and other drivers using the methods given below, either manually or automatically.
- Antivirus: In order to resolve the HI2.exe has Stopped Working issue, we recommend temporarily disabling your antivirus and then checking to see if this resolves the problem. This is because the Antivirus program may sometimes block specific game components, causing the problem to occur.
- Lacking Permissions: Your computer may be missing specific rights that are necessary to launch the game and execute all of its files in certain cases. As a result, we recommend playing the game in administrative mode, as detailed below.
- Refresh Rate: If the monitor’s refresh rate isn’t set correctly, it may prevent the game from operating properly. As a result, we recommend that you use the procedures given below to correctly set your monitor’s refresh rate.
We can now start putting the remedies in place now that you’ve heard about the majority of the causes for this problem.
Automatically Resolve PC Problems
If you want to have your PC problems instantly corrected as well as diagnose, list, and correct any registry flaws, we suggest utilizing the Restoro Repair Tool, which can handle all of this with just one click. Trustpilot has given it a 5-star rating, so you don’t have to be concerned.
Examine the system’s requirements:
Some users may get this message because their PC hardware is incompatible with Half-Life 2, i.e. their computer does not fulfill the needed minimum system parameters to run Half-Life 2. Before continuing to the significant changes below, verify the game’s minimum system requirements by visiting the game’s official website and looking for the Minimum System Requirements section. To determine your system specs, follow the steps outlined below.
- Press the “Windows + R” keys simultaneously, a dialogue box will appear. Type “dxdiag” and then click “OK”. Typing “dxdiag”
- A window for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear in front of you.
- Basic information about your PC’s core hardware will be presented in the “System” page.
- Compare those specs to Half-Life 2’s minimal requirements to see whether your system fulfills the minimum requirements.
Before you begin, consider the following:
- Steam Client Launcher may be used to start legacy games. However, because of several problems in the launcher, the game crashes. As a result, in certain situations, running Half-Life 2 without the Steam Client Launcher proved to be beneficial.
If you’re using Windows Vista Home Basic, there’s a good chance you’ll see this problem. This problem may be resolved by upgrading to a more sophisticated version of Windows Vista, such as Windows Vista Ultimate.
How to Resolve HI2.exe Has Stopped Working:
Solution 1: Manually update the GPU drivers
This issue might occur if your game is incompatible with latest graphics card drivers. This problem may be resolved by reverting to earlier graphics card drivers that are compatible with your game. Windows 10 uses the Windows Update function to automatically install display drivers. In this case, turning off this function may be beneficial. To stop the automatic updating of display drivers, follow the steps outlined below.
- Firstly, proceed to the Start menu, type “View advanced system settings” and press the “Enter” button. View Advanced System Settings
- Go to the “Hardware” tab and choose “Device Installation Settings” from the drop-down menu at the bottom.
- Select the second option, “No (your device may not perform as intended),” and then click “Save Changes.”
- Now type “Device Manager” in the start menu and open it. In the Device Manager window, expand the Display Adapters option, right-click on your GPU and select the option “Uninstall device”.Uninstall NVIDIA Graphics Driver
- Now go to the website of your GPU manufacturer, such as Nvidia or AMD, and download and install their display drivers, or just click here to get the required graphic driver.
- Restart your computer and start the game. If the game still crashes, try “Step No. 5” again, but this time instead of downloading the most recent GPU display drivers, try downloading an earlier version that is compatible with Half-Life 2.
Solution 2: Use DriverFix to update drivers automatically.
Another option for resolving these driver difficulties is to download and install DriverFix, a popular driver update helper.
- After installing the software, simply launch the software, click on the Scan option and wait for it to scan and detect all your computer’s faulty drivers. When the scanning is complete, simply select the ones that need fixing and wait for the software to download and install the latest files.Scan Using DriverFix
- Restart your computer and try again to open Half-Life 2.
Solution 3: Turn off Third-Party Antivirus for the time being.
Half-Life 2 files are flagged as suspicious by certain antivirus software, which classifies them as viruses or infected files. As a precaution, antivirus software removes and deletes these data. To prevent the antivirus from deleting the files specified below, you may use one of two methods:
Method 1: Protective Pause
- Simply go to the “Show Hidden Icons” option on the right side of the taskbar, find your antivirus, then right-click on it to suspend protection and deactivate it.
- Select the option “Pause Protection” or “Disable Antivirus” (the option may vary depending upon your antivirus) and click on it.Disable antivirus
- A caution prompt box will open, and you should click the “OK” option to proceed.
Method 2: Add the file/folder to the list of exceptions
- Locate the “Show Hidden Icons” option on the right side of the taskbar, then right-click on your antivirus.
- Select “Settings” and then “Advanced Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Add the game’s installation folder URL to the exceptions list by going to the “Exceptions” option. Save your changes and then close the antivirus program.
Solution #4: Start the game as an administrator.
This error occurs as a result of operating system compatibility concerns. This problem may be resolved by running the file as an administrator. To make this treatment a success, follow the steps outlined below:
- Locate the game’s executable file, i.e. “.exe,” in the game’s installation folder, and right-click on it to access the “Properties” option.
- Select the Windows version from the drop-down list indicated in the game’s system requirements. Navigate to the compatibility tab and the compatibility mode section, check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box, and check the “Run this program in compatibility mode for” box.
- Also, check the “Run this program as an administrator” box located at the bottom of the compatibility tab. Run this program as an administrator
- After that, click “Apply” and then “OK.” Restart the game to see whether the hl2.exe has stopped running tf2 error still remains.
Solution 5: Verify DirectX compatibility.
DirectX compatibility problems might potentially cause this error. In comparison to current versions of DirectX, this game is better compatible with an earlier version. Follow the methods below to determine the DirectX version installed on your computer:
- Hold the “Windows + R” keys simultaneously, a dialog box will appear, and type “dxdiag” in the Run prompt. Typing “dxdiag”
- A window for the DirectX Diagnostic Tool will appear in front of you. Your main system specifications will be listed in that window, and at the bottom of the list, you can see the installed version of DirectX on your computer.
- If the installed version is not “DirectX 9,” you must download the suitable version of DirectX, namely DirectX 9, from here and install it on your PC by following the on-screen instructions.
- Check to verify whether the “HI2.exe has Stopped Working” problem has been resolved and Half-Life 2 is running nicely on your PC.
Disable Background Processes (Solution 6)
Background tasks may also cause the game to crash and, as a consequence, produce this error. This problem may also be resolved by limiting the activity of background running programs. Follow the instructions below to turn off the background running tasks:
- Press the “Alt + Ctrl + Del” keys simultaneously and click on the Task Manager. Launching Task Manager
- Navigate to the “Processes” page to get a list of all the jobs that are now operating in the background.
- Now, right-click on all the tasks individually and select the option “Disable”.Disable background applications
- Restart your computer and play the game again.
- Hopefully, this will fix the HI2.exe has Stopped Working problem, but if it doesn’t, try the next remedy given below.
Solution 7: Use the Steam Client to validate game files
The steam client may also be used to verify the game files’ authenticity. Viruses may damage game files, or antivirus software can eliminate them due to erroneous detection. To use the Steam client to fix the game files, follow the steps below.
- On the desktop, double-click the “Steam” icon.
- Navigate to the Games “Library” section, afterwards right-click on the affected game, and select the “Properties” option. Opening Steam Library
- Locate the “Local Files” tab and click on the option “Verify integrity of game cache…” located at the bottom of the list. Verify Integrity of the Game Files
- The integrity of the impacted game files will now be verified by the Steam client. After this procedure is complete, try starting Half-Life 2 again to determine whether the issue still occurs; if it does, go to the next remedy indicated below.
Reinstall Half-Life 2 (option 8)
If none of the above recommended options work, try reinstalling the game from scratch. To properly execute a clean reinstallation of the game, follow the steps below:
- To begin, right-click on the “Steam” icon and choose “Open.”
- In the Library tab, right-click on the affected game and click on the “Uninstall” option.Uninstall Steam Games
- Locate the game’s installation folder and, if any, remove any leftover files.
- Install the game from the Steam Library again to see whether the problem has been resolved.
Solution 9: Use Steam to modify Garry’s Mod.
- Navigate to the “Library” option in the Steam program.
- Right-click on “Gmod” and choose “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Locate and click the “Set Launch Options” button at the bottom of the newly created window. In the box that appears in front of you, write the following command and press the “OK” button. -dxlevel 80 -dxlevel 80 -dxlevel 80
- Now restart the game, and maybe your problem will be resolved.
Delete Garry’s Mod from Steam as a last resort.
By uninstalling Gmod from the Steam library, several users found this solution to be beneficial. To effectively address this problem, follow the instructions below:
- Open the Steam application and navigate to “Library”.Opening Steam Library
- Locate “Gmod,” right-click it, and then choose “Properties.”
- In the “Local Files” tab, choose the “Verify Integrity of Game Cache” option.Verify integrity of game files
If the above-mentioned technique fails, go on to “Method 2,” which is listed below.
- Open the Steam application and navigate to “Library”.Opening Steam Library
- Right-click on “Gmod” and choose “Properties” from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the “Local Files” tab and go through the files there.
- Return to the previous folder and delete the Gmod there.
- Finally, go to the Steam menu and uninstall Gmod.
- After you’ve completed all of the above procedures, reboot your computer to see whether the problem has been repaired. If it hasn’t, go on to the next possible cure listed below.
Prevent Data Execution (Solution 11)
- Click on the Start menu and type “View Advanced System settings” in the search box. View Advanced System Settings
- In front of you will come the System Properties window. Select the “Settings” option in the Performance menu from the “Advanced” tab.
- Performance options window will open in front of you. Click on the “Data Execution Prevention” tab and select the option “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select”.Turn ON DEP For All Programs
- Now, at the bottom of the Performance Options window, select the “Add” option, and then find the “Steam.exe” file in the following directory, which you can then add to the exceptions list: Steam/C:Program Files/Steam/Steam/Steam/Steam/Steam
- Click the “Add” option once again, then locate and add the HI2.exe file to the same list of exceptions.
- Most likely, the HI2.exe has Stopped Working problem would have been repaired by now if you rebooted your computer and then ran the game.
Solution 12: Install AMD Drivers again.
Some customers reported that installing the old compatible display drivers instead of the new ones was useful. After testing several display driver versions, it was discovered that version “15.11.1” from 2015 was better compatible with the game than previous versions. The game worked well for anybody that reverted their display driver to version “15.11.1.”
Solution 13: Change the refresh rate of your monitor.
This issue might potentially be caused by the user’s poor system specifications. This problem may be resolved by changing the refresh rate in the game’s settings. To effectively address this problem, follow the instructions below:
- To begin, go to the Start menu and type “Display settings” before pressing the “Enter” key.
- Locate “Advanced Display Settings” and click on it. Here you can see the Refresh Rate of your monitor. Advanced display settings
- Now open Steam, right-click on the game icon, and choose “Launch Options” from the menu.
- In the window that appears in front of you, write the command below and click “OK.” The XX indicates the refresh rate of your display in Hertz. -refresh XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
- Now relaunch the game, and hopefully your problem will have been repaired.
If you are still unable to resolve the problem, please contact us for additional assistance.
Watch This Video-
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix Counter Strike Source hl2 exe has stopped working?
A: Youll need a clean install of the game. This can be done by deleting your current Steam installation, and putting it on an external drive or memory card. If you uninstall CS in this manner, all your saved games will still remain intact as long as they havent been changed from their original state.
How do I fix game exe has stopped working?
A: You may need to remove the game, then reinstall it.
Why does HL exe crash?
A: HL exe crashes because it ran out of memory. This could be due to your computer being too old or not enough RAM, but the most likely cause is that you are downloading a large file with many textures and models in it.
- team fortress 2 hl2.exe has stopped working
- half life 2 crashes windows 10
- what does exe mean